"The 411"

My photo
A small, luminous portal, somewhere on the western edge of the Atlantic, northern hemisphere, 3rd rock from the Sun
When I was about 7 years of age, I stood in the middle of Robin's Field Primary School's playground on a glorious, cloudless, autumn day in London. Gazing up, a burst of ceruleun sky seared through me. I had been awakened from a deep, protective state of numb. Future decades jerked me back & forth on the teeter- totter of life. Great ups, miserable downs, nanoseconds of breathtaking joys, infinite hours deep inside pain. A couple of years ago, I began to hit the mercurial Wall o' Menopause. True to self, I went at it, head first, in a pool of icy hot sweat, the proverbial sledge hammer. Spiritually & emotionally, I was drained. Empty. As in "this well was D-R-Y." Of everything. Time passed & I began waking up again - just like on the playground. In reality, I must say, I really like this side of 50. "The best is yet to come ... "

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The future's so bright, I've got to wear shades!

We've almost completed yet another rotation around the sun - another year under of multiple experiences, all woven into the fabric of our existance. Our lives.
Enjoying the daily spectacle of the emerging dawn sky, I was serenaded by the this morning's chorus of Cardinals, Blue Jays, the ever inquisitive & chatty squirrels. My eyes lazily slid towards a grouping of cobalt balls which lay in the middle of what we refer to as either our "crop circle' or our "intergalactic hot lz".
Leaning over, I actually realized I was hoping to catch a fleeting glimpse of the future reflecting through the magical crystal balls, as dew dripped down the side like cobalt tears. All I could be sure of is that my future seemed to contain lots of palm trees!









I stopped making resolutions years ago. The partying ended long before that. Nothing could ever quite top the New Year's Eve extravaganza's in the tiny, magical alpine villages where most of my childhood and teenage holidays were spent. Halcyion days.
My favorite way, pretty much ever since then, has been to spend NYE sleeping or else have everyone else sleeping so that I can just enjoy the peace & stars, safe on the deck of our tropical nook of the milky way.
It does not mean, however, that I do not to take to pause & reflect on what has been, what I learned, heaven kn0ws how I can improve or at best, maitain ... I do. Being Jewish, I get TWO chances at wiping the slate clean each year!
I ask you, why have one new year when you can have two!!!!
Anyway, all of this to say, that I really can't think of a better prayer for all of us as we roll in the new year ... it's a lot easier than the 10 commandments & a bit more fun too!
A 17th Century Nun's Prayer

Lord, Thou knowest better than I know myself, that I am growing older and will someday be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest Lord that I want a few friends at the end.

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains.
They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessing cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a Saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people.
And, give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.
AMEN
HA P P Y N E W Y E A R H A P P Y N E W Y E A R 2 0 0 8
Posted by Picasa